You don’t have to live on just your Social Security and life savings.
How I survived in retirement
Is your story similar?
Hi, my name is Joe Leonard. For many years I worked in the computer industry as an international sales manager. I started out with mini-computers but got laid off after many companies started to use networked PCs. I then started my own independent web development business. I used to lived in Seattle, Washington and have now moved to Guadalajara, Mexico to retire – and to start my own retirement business. Let me tell you a little story.
In 2006 I was thinking about retiring, selling the house, consolidating my 401K funds, and moving from Seattle to a warmer climate (Arizona, Florida, Costa Rica or Mexico). But before I could do so, everything went wrong. First my company started laying off middle-management people like me who suddenly lost their jobs. I found out that there was a lot of age discrimination in spite of the law. There was little hope of finding a similar position much less for the same pay. Then the housing market collapsed. My house was suddenly worth 40% less. So I could forget about cashing in on that and using the money for retirement. Next the stock market took a dive and my life savings drastically decreased. To top it off my wife and I decided to divorce. I wasn’t broke but my social security and savings that were left would not be enough to retire well.
I took these 5 Steps to improve my retirement income and cut my expenses
- Moved to a cheaper city – Guadalajara, Mexico
- Got a rid of a major house expense with a reverse mortgage
- Converted my stocks and mutual funds (what was left) into bonds and cash
- Learned new skills
- Started a part-time small Retirement Business
I started this web site for people over 50 seniors like myself who want (or need to) begin a new life with a better retirement income.
Check out these page for more details:
- Where to retire for a better life – Best retirement places
- How to eliminate your mortgage payment – Drastically cut your monthly retirement expenses
- Stop gambling with your retirement funds – Hang on to what you’ve got
- You´re never too old to learn to be young again – You can teach an old dog new tricks
- Live the way you want to live – It´s not too late to make your dream come true
- Turn your hobby or passion into a new retirement business – Take the retirement income test
- Owning your own business no longer means being chained to an office or store front – Don’t be chained to a job
- Forget about employees – use freelancers and virtual assistants
- Explore all these Retirement Business Ideas – Get started today